MSF is an independent international medical relief organisation, with 28 offices worldwide. When large-scale epidemics occur, when areas in crisis are too dangerous for many other organisations, then our medical teams are there to assist the affected population. We organise basic medical care, treat the injured, carry out vaccination campaigns, train local staff and build up medical infrastructure. In long-term aid projects our teams fight diseases like tuberculosis, malaria, sleeping sickness, and HIV/AIDS.
tasks and responsibilities
When you have hardly any technical equipment for an operation the clinical perspective becomes even more important.
As an anesthetist working for Médecins Sans Frontiers, you often work in conflict and war zones. The conditions are often difficult, and you have to manage with the simplest of means. In order to work in the operating theatre without technical monitoring devices and oxygen equipment, you really have to be flexible, inventive and use all five of your senses. You will need to have a wide range of practical experience in pediatric and adult anesthesia.
Your tasks include ensuring qualified care before, during and after an operation. You will have to ensure compliance with our internationally standardized protocols and hygiene procedures, as well as designing emergency plans for situations with a lot of casualties. You will also be required to train colleagues and nursing staff in the project.
A completed specialist training in anesthesia and at least two years of professional experience
Experience in pediatric and gynecological anesthesia, neonatal resuscitation as well as emergency and intensive care medicine
- Sound knowledge of inhalation, spinal and regional anesthesia
- Experience in professional instruction, training or further education
- Experience in team leadership is an advantage
- Availability for at least three months
- Fluent English, knowledge of French is a big plus, other languages such as Arabic are also an advantage
- Travel or work experience in African, Asian or Latin American countries
- Ability to work in a team, cultural sensitivity, organizational and improvisational skills as well as high mental and physical resilience
- Willingness to work in accordance with Médecins Sans Frontières humanitarian principles, charter and mission statement
What do we offer
- Salary sufficient to cover costs at home while you are in the field
- A per diem during assignment to cover food expenses and other local purchases in local currency
- Round-trip transportation to and from assignment
- Room and board during assignment
- A comprehensive insurance package, including health and emergency evacuation insurance
- Holiday leave (depending on project)
We strongly recommend that you attend a webinar or HR info event about working with MSF to learn more about responsibilities and requirements before you apply.
As an international organization, we support diversity, openness and mutual respect. In line with our values, incoming applications are only evaluated for their professional qualifications and are considered regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
We look forward to your application.
ÄRZTE OHNE GRENZEN e.V.
Am Köllnischen Park 1, 10179 Berlin, Germany