Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a private and independent international medical aid organisation. Diversity, open mindedness and mutual respect are of particular importance in our organisation. MSF provides medical aid in more than 70 countries worldwide. The headquarters of the German section of MSF - Ärzte ohne Grenzen e.V. is in Berlin. In the headquarters, over 250 employees work in the fundraising, media and public relations, finance and administration, human resources and project departments.
Head of Berlin Advocacy Unit / Job Sharing (f/m/d)
40 hours per week
The Head of the Berlin Advocacy Unit (BeAU) works in a job-sharing model with a second person. Both positions hold the same job title, work very closely together, represent, support and replace each other in cases of absence. They jointly lead the Advocacy Unit of around 10 dedicated staff, are collectively responsible for achieving ambitious advocacy goals and the consistent further development of all staff working in the unit. They distribute content/different topics among themselves.
- The Head(s) of BeAU define the strategic advocacy and political positioning of MSF-Germany in close cooperation with the General Director.
- Coordinates and manages the Berlin Advocacy Unit (BeAU) and its staff.
- Responsible for budgeting, planning, reporting and staffing. Provides direction, mentoring and technical guidance to team members and supports their professional and technical development.
- Ensures proactive liaising with established MSF “humanitarian diplomacy” departments and other pertinent stakeholders within the movement. Maintains contact with other sections of MSF; identifies and makes use of possible synergies.
- Coordinates research and monitoring of the positioning and policies of the government and relevant civil society actors regarding areas of MSF interest. Proposes strategies how to address these topics with external stakeholders. Leads the implementation of these strategies.
- Develops and maintains a strong network of contacts among the key stakeholders in government, politics and civil society.
- Represents MSF Germany in contacts with key stakeholders including in bilateral meetings and conferences as well as through media work and interviews.
- Coordinates and supervises MSF Germany’s engagement with government stakeholders such as Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Interior, Development, Environment, Health and Research as well as the Chancellor’s office. Also coordinates contacts with civil society.
- At least seven years relevant professional experience of leading and managing a team in a highly dynamic environment
- A real commitment to building team members’ capacities and supporting their professional development
- Ability and willingness to work in a tandem with the second Head of BeAU
- Excellent understanding of the German political and civil society environment with regards to medical and humanitarian topics including strong established network of contacts within Germany
- Practical work experience in a humanitarian context with MSF Germany or another humanitarian actor is an asset
- Excellent representation, negotiation and communication skills combined with a capacity to act as a spokesperson on complex and at times sensitive topics in both German and English
- Availability for international travel to MSF offices (and potentially field projects)
- Commitment to the aims and principles of MSF
- Payment according to internal salary structure; in this position according to group 6 with full-time employment (40h/week) from 3,634 to a maximum of 4,599 Euro, depending on the relevant professional experience
- Benefits: 30 days of annual leave per year, 13th salary, subsidized public transport ticket, regular increases in salary according to salary structure, company pension (from min. 2 years of employment period), company laptop as well as free drinks and fruit
- Meaningful and diversified work within a respectful and positive organization culture
- Insights on international field projects through regular reports, presentations and exchange with colleagues
- Possibility of taking an active part in shaping the organization through cross-departmental working groups, regular staff surveys etc.
- Personal development through inhouse trainings and the support of individual training programs
As an internationally operating organisation, we welcome diversity, open mindedness and mutual respect. In accordance with our values, we only analyze the professional qualifications in the applications, regardless of ethnical and social origin, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation or age of the applicant.