MSF is an independent international medical relief organisation, with 28 offices worldwide. When large-scale epidemics occur, when areas in crisis are too dangerous for many other organisations, then our medical teams are there to assist the affected population. We organise basic medical care, treat the injured, carry out vaccination campaigns, train local staff and build up medical infrastructure. In long-term aid projects our teams fight diseases like tuberculosis, malaria, sleeping sickness, and HIV/AIDS.
tasks and responsibilities
A midwife’s help is essential for pregnant women: midwives ensure safe births in our programs.
Are you ready to take on a lot of responsibility and work without a doctor present? As a midwife in our projects, you not only ensure safe births and good pre- and postnatal care, you are also responsible for the entire maternity ward and delivery room. In case of complications, you are available around the clock. You also coordinate and lead a team of maternity staff and train traditional birth attendants. You will also organize family planning programs and programs against sexual and gender-based violence.
We are currently looking for French-speaking midwives.
An education or bachelor's degree as a state-approved midwife or state-approved maternity nurse
- At least two years of professional experience
Current clinical work experience, including at least six months within the past 24 mont
- Knowledge of sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV/Aids is an advantage
- Tropical medicine qualification is an advantage. A list of possible courses can be found here (all information without guarantee).
- Further training in obstetric emergency medicine (e.g. life-sustaining measures in obstetrics) is an advantage
- Willingness to work without the presence of a doctor
- Experience in professional guidance and training or further education
- Ideally experience in team leadership and staff management
- Availability for at least nine months, an even longer period would be desirable
- Fluent English, knowledge of French is a big plus, other languages such as Arabic are also an advantage
- Travel or work experience in African, Asian or Latin American countries
- Ability to work in a team, cultural sensitivity, organizational and improvisational skills as well as high mental and physical resilience
- Willingness to work in accordance with Médecins Sans Frontières humanitarian principles, charter and mission statement
What do we offer
- Salary sufficient to cover costs at home while you are in the field
- A per diem during assignment to cover food expenses and other local purchases in local currency
- Round-trip transportation to and from assignment
- Room and board during assignment
- A comprehensive insurance package, including health and emergency evacuation insurance
- Holiday leave (depending on project)
We strongly recommend that you attend a webinar or HR info event about working with MSF to learn more about responsibilities and requirements before you apply.
As an international organization, we support diversity, openness and mutual respect. In line with our values, incoming applications are only evaluated for their professional qualifications and are considered regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
We look forward to your application.
ÄRZTE OHNE GRENZEN e.V.
Schwedenstr. 9, 13359 Berlin, Germany