MSF is an independent international medical relief organisation, with 28 offices worldwide. When large-scale epidemics occur, when areas in crisis are too dangerous for many other organisations, then our medical teams are there to assist the affected population. We organise basic medical care, treat the injured, carry out vaccination campaigns, train local staff and build up medical infrastructure. In long-term aid projects our teams fight diseases like tuberculosis, malaria, sleeping sickness, and HIV/AIDS.
tasks and responsibilities
Your task is to guarantee compliance with hygiene and safety protocols and ensure the quality of tests and analyses .
As a laboratory manager, you are responsible for all laboratory work in our medical facilities in one or more projects. Your main tasks are to set up and improve routine diagnostic laboratory facilities. You will also ensure that these are kept up to date.
You will also be responsible for the efficient quality analysis and control of all laboratory work. You will ensure that laboratory schedules are adhered to and tests are properly performed in areas including serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, parasitology and compatibility. You will also control the proper preparation and shipment of samples and specimens. You will ensure that valid hygiene and safety protocols are followed and inform medical staff about the relevant guidelines.
Another key task is the training and continuing education of laboratory personnel. You will train the team on site, as well as the orientation of new employees, assist in the preparation of employment announcements and plan further training measures for the laboratory staff.
Completed MTLA training and at least two years of professional experience
- Knowledge in the diagnosis of tropical diseases, HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis
Experience in professional guidance and training or continuing education
- Experience in personnel management is an advantage
- At least nine to twelve months availability
- Fluency in English, knowledge of French is a major plus, other languages such as Arabic are also a plus
- Travel or work experience in African, Asian or Latin American countries
- Ability to work in a team, cultural sensitivity, organizational and improvisational skills, and a high level of mental and physical resilience
- Willingness to work in accordance with humanitarian principles and the MSF charter and mission statement
What do we offer
- Salary sufficient to cover costs at home while you are in the field
- A per diem during assignment to cover food expenses and other local purchases in local currency
- Round-trip transportation to and from assignment
- Room and board during assignment
- A comprehensive insurance package, including health and emergency evacuation insurance
- Holiday leave (depending on project)
We strongly recommend that you attend a webinar or HR info event about working with MSF to learn more about responsibilities and requirements before you apply.
As an international organization, we support diversity, openness and mutual respect. In line with our values, incoming applications are only evaluated for their professional qualifications and are considered regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
We look forward to your application.
ÄRZTE OHNE GRENZEN e.V.
Schwedenstr. 9, 13359 Berlin, Germany