MSF is an independent international medical relief organisation, with 28 offices worldwide. When large-scale epidemics occur, when areas in crisis are too dangerous for many other organisations, then our medical teams are there to assist the affected population. We organise basic medical care, treat the injured, carry out vaccination campaigns, train local staff and build up medical infrastructure. In long-term aid projects our teams fight diseases like tuberculosis, malaria, sleeping sickness, and HIV/AIDS.
tasks and responsibilities
For an MSF deployment you need a diverse range of professional experience, and you should be creative and flexible.
To work with us as a surgeon, you will need a wide range of practical experience. In the projects you will often have to work under difficult conditions with the simplest technical means. You should expect to be deployed in war zones or crisis areas where you will treat bullet, stab and mine wounds, perform common emergency operations and carry out amputations. Your field of responsibility will be even wider, ranging from trauma surgery and triage to general surgery and caesarean sections. You will also supervise and coordinate all surgery.
You will be responsible for the quality of surgical work in the emergency room, outpatient department, operating theatre, dressing room and inpatient department. In doing so, you ensure that the patients receive the best possible surgical care. To do this, you will be working closely with the other team members, including anesthetists, the operating theater and ward nursing staff. You will also train the operating theater and surgical staff.
At the moment we are very much in need of trauma surgeons and are particularly happy to receive these applications.
Completed specialist training in surgery followed by at least two years of professional experience.
- The following practical work experience in general surgery: caesarean sections, amputations, treatment of open and closed bone fractures (external fixation), treatment of gunshot and shrapnel wounds, treatment of difficult wound infections, treatment of burns, covering of soft tissue defects, pediatric surgery, diagnostics without X-rays, carrying out triage
The following practical work experience in trauma surgery: war surgery injuries, treatment of open and closed bone fractures (external fixation, sign nail, etc.), amputations, injuries to tendons and nerves, osteomyelitis, treatment of burns
- Experience in professional guidance, education or training
- Experience in team leadership is an advantage
- Availability for at least three months
- Fluent English, knowledge of French is a big plus, other languages such as Arabic are also an advantage
- Travel or work experience in African, Asian or Latin American countries
- Ability to work in a team, cultural sensitivity, organizational and improvisational skills as well as high mental and physical resilience
- Willingness to work in accordance with Médecins Sans Frontières humanitarian principles, charter and mission statement
What do we offer
- Salary sufficient to cover costs at home while you are in the field
- A per diem during assignment to cover food expenses and other local purchases in local currency
- Round-trip transportation to and from assignment
- Room and board during assignment
- A comprehensive insurance package, including health and emergency evacuation insurance
- Holiday leave (depending on project)
We strongly recommend that you attend a webinar or HR info event about working with MSF to learn more about responsibilities and requirements before you apply.
As an international organization, we support diversity, openness and mutual respect. In line with our values, incoming applications are only evaluated for their professional qualifications and are considered regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
We look forward to your application.
ÄRZTE OHNE GRENZEN e.V.
Schwedenstr. 9, 13359 Berlin, Germany