MSF is an independent international medical relief organisation, with 28 offices worldwide. When large-scale epidemics occur, when areas in crisis are too dangerous for many other organisations, then our medical teams are there to assist the affected population. We organise basic medical care, treat the injured, carry out vaccination campaigns, train local staff and build up medical infrastructure. In long-term aid projects our teams fight diseases like tuberculosis, malaria, sleeping sickness, and HIV/AIDS.
tasks and responsibilities
When technical equipment is scarce, your clinical abilities and ingenuity are even more important.
As a gynecologist on duty for an MSF assignment, you carry a lot of responsibility. You are responsible for all gynecological procedures and manage the entire obstetrics service: emergency care, outpatient care, the delivery room and the maternity ward. You will have to manage unusual illnesses and complications without the usual technical resources, and both your clinical skills and resourcefulness will be required. On top of that there will be short nights, often you will be on duty around the clock.
Your duties will also include providing guidance and training to your colleagues in the field. Since in many countries it is hard for a woman to imagine being treated by a male gynecologist, we are mainly looking for women, preferably those who have French language skills.
- A completed specialist training as a gynecologist
- Extensive experience in obstetrics and gynecological surgery: for example, complicated births and caesarean sections, hysterectomy, ectopic pregnancies, multiple births and the management of all complications.
If possible, knowledge of tropical medicine
- Experience in team leadership and professional guidance, education or training is an advantage
- Availability for at least three months, a longer period would be desirable.
- Fluent English, knowledge of French is a big plus, other languages such as Arabic are also an advantage
- If possible, travel or work experience in African, Asian or Latin American countries
- Ability to work in a team, cultural sensitivity, organizational and improvisational skills, as well as high mental and physical resilience
- Willingness to work in accordance with Médecins Sans Frontières humanitarian
principles, charter and mission statement
What do we offer
- Salary sufficient to cover costs at home while you are in the field
- A per diem during assignment to cover food expenses and other local purchases in local currency
- Round-trip transportation to and from assignment
- Room and board during assignment
- A comprehensive insurance package, including health and emergency evacuation insurance
- Holiday leave (depending on project)
We strongly recommend that you attend a webinar or HR info event about working with MSF to learn more about responsibilities and requirements before you apply.
As an international organization, we support diversity, openness and mutual respect. In line with our values, incoming applications are only evaluated for their professional qualifications and are considered regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
We look forward to your application.
ÄRZTE OHNE GRENZEN e.V.
Schwedenstr. 9, 13359 Berlin, Germany