MSF is an independent international medical relief organisation, with 28 offices worldwide. When large-scale epidemics occur, when areas in crisis are too dangerous for many other organisations, then our medical teams are there to assist the affected population. We organise basic medical care, treat the injured, carry out vaccination campaigns, train local staff and build up medical infrastructure. In long-term aid projects our teams fight diseases like tuberculosis, malaria, sleeping sickness, and HIV/AIDS.
Water and sanitation specialist
tasks and responsibilities
Your work helps prevent many diseases from breaking out in the first place.
Making sure there is clean drinking water, hygienic sanitary facilities and safe waste disposal: As a water and sanitation expert you can prevent the outbreak of diseases and are indispensable in many of our projects. With a team that you lead and train, you will ensure that there is sufficient clean water in refugee camps or hospitals. You will drill wells or build latrines and washing facilities. You will also have to plan possible further construction measures and monitor their development.
You will also be analyzing water usage and constantly monitoring the water to ensure proper quality standards. If there is not enough water on site, you will find ways and means of getting water from other regions. Your job will also involve taking measures to control disease vectors and be responsible for the safe disposal of waste from our medical projects.
An education in fields of water and sanitation, for example a degree in hydraulic engineering
- At least two years of work experience in this field
Experience in medical waste disposal and disease vector control is a big plus
- Experience in personnel management and further education
- Availability for a minimum of nine to twelve months
- Fluency in English, knowledge of French is a big plus, other languages such as Arabic are also a plus
- Travel or work experience in African, Asian or Latin American countries
- Ability to work in a team, cultural sensitivity, excellent organizational and improvisational skills, and a high level of mental and physical resilience
- Willingness to work in accordance with Médecins Sans Frontières humanitarian principles, charter and mission statement
What do we offer
- Salary sufficient to cover costs at home while you are in the field
- A per diem during assignment to cover food expenses and other local purchases in local currency
- Round-trip transportation to and from assignment
- Room and board during assignment
- A comprehensive insurance package, including health and emergency evacuation insurance
- Holiday leave (depending on project)
We strongly recommend that you attend a webinar or HR info event about working with MSF to learn more about responsibilities and requirements before you apply.
As an international organization, we support diversity, openness and mutual respect. In line with our values, incoming applications are only evaluated for their professional qualifications and are considered regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
We look forward to your application.
ÄRZTE OHNE GRENZEN e.V.
Am Köllnischen Park 1, 10179 Berlin, Germany