MSF is an independent international medical relief organisation, with 28 offices worldwide. When large-scale epidemics occur, when areas in crisis are too dangerous for many other organisations, then our medical teams are there to assist the affected population. We organise basic medical care, treat the injured, carry out vaccination campaigns, train local staff and build up medical infrastructure. In long-term aid projects our teams fight diseases like tuberculosis, malaria, sleeping sickness, and HIV/AIDS.
tasks and responsibilities
As an architect or civil engineer, you will be responsible for making sure we have the necessary buildings for our projects.
As an architect or civil engineer, you will be responsible for all of the buildings required for our work. This includes, for example, shelters, offices, pharmacies and warehouses. You will also oversee the renovation and construction of health facilities. You determine what needs to be done in coordination with the medical teams, draw up plans, organize bidding parameters for outside contractors and supervise construction. You will also conduct contract negotiations with contractors and subcontractors, track the financial and budgetary aspects of the work, order materials and monitor their usage. Your duties will also include managing a team of colleagues.
A degree in architecture or civil engineering
- At least two years of professional experience that should primarily be in building design and construction (phases 6 - 9)
Availability for at least nine to twelve months
- Experience in technical guidance, training or further education of staff. Experience in personnel management is an advantage
- Fluent English, knowledge of French is a big plus, other languages such as Arabic are also an advantage
- Travel or work experience in African, Asian or Latin American countries
- Ability to work in a team, cultural sensitivity, organizational and improvisational skills as well as high mental and physical resilience
- Willingness to work in accordance with Médecins Sans Frontières humanitarian principles, charter and mission statement
What do we offer
- Salary sufficient to cover costs at home while you are in the field
- A per diem during assignment to cover food expenses and other local purchases in local currency
- Round-trip transportation to and from assignment
- Room and board during assignment
- A comprehensive insurance package, including health and emergency evacuation insurance
- Holiday leave (depending on project)
We strongly recommend that you attend a webinar or HR info event about working with MSF to learn more about responsibilities and requirements before you apply.
As an international organization, we support diversity, openness and mutual respect. In line with our values, incoming applications are only evaluated for their professional qualifications and are considered regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
We look forward to your application.
ÄRZTE OHNE GRENZEN e.V.
Schwedenstr. 9, 13359 Berlin, Germany