MSF is an independent international medical relief organisation, with 28 offices worldwide. When large-scale epidemics occur, when areas in crisis are too dangerous for many other organisations, then our medical teams are there to assist the affected population. We organise basic medical care, treat the injured, carry out vaccination campaigns, train local staff and build up medical infrastructure. In long-term aid projects our teams fight diseases like tuberculosis, malaria, sleeping sickness, and HIV/AIDS.
tasks and responsibilities
In remote regions, functioning vehicles are of essential for our teams, which means the work of an automotive expert is particularly important.
As a vehicle expert and ‘flying mechanic’, you are responsible for the vehicle fleet at one or more of our projects. You will take care of the maintenance and repair of our cars, motorcycles, trucks, tractors and generators. In doing so, you will lead a team of colleagues and ensure the smooth running and maintenance of the workshop. If no functioning workshop exists, you will help to set one up. You will also plan the deployment of the fleet in close coordination with the on-site medical and logistics team. Where necessary, you will also handle other logistical tasks in our projects.
Completed apprenticeship as a vehicle mechanic or vehicle mechatronics technician
- At least two years of professional experience in the maintenance and repair of various types of vehicles
Good knowledge of diesel engines and ideally also of four-wheel drive vehicles
- Knowledge of warehousing and materials management
- Experience in personnel management and training and development
- At least nine to twelve months availability
- Fluent English, knowledge of French is a big plus, other languages such as Arabic are also a plus
- Travel or work experience in African, Asian or Latin American countries
- Ability to work in a team, cultural sensitivity, organizational and improvisational skills, and a high level of mental and physical resilience
- Willingness to work in accordance with humanitarian principles and the MSF charter and mission statement
What do we offer
- Salary sufficient to cover costs at home while you are in the field
- A per diem during assignment to cover food expenses and other local purchases in local currency
- Round-trip transportation to and from assignment
- Room and board during assignment
- A comprehensive insurance package, including health and emergency evacuation insurance
- Holiday leave (depending on project)
We strongly recommend that you attend a webinar or HR info event about working with MSF to learn more about responsibilities and requirements before you apply.
As an international organization, we support diversity, openness and mutual respect. In line with our values, incoming applications are only evaluated for their professional qualifications and are considered regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
We look forward to your application.
ÄRZTE OHNE GRENZEN e.V.
Schwedenstr. 9, 13359 Berlin, Germany