MSF is an independent international medical relief organisation, with 28 offices worldwide. When large-scale epidemics occur, when areas in crisis are too dangerous for many other organisations, then our medical teams are there to assist the affected population. We organise basic medical care, treat the injured, carry out vaccination campaigns, train local staff and build up medical infrastructure. In long-term aid projects our teams fight diseases like tuberculosis, malaria, sleeping sickness, and HIV/AIDS.
Operating room nurse
tasks and responsibilities
When you are on assignment with Médecins Sans Frontières, you are often deployed to places where there is no other surgical care.
As an operation room nurse, you can expect to work with us in war or crisis zones, often under difficult conditions and with only the most basic technical equipment. This means you should have a wide range of practical experience, you will need to be resourceful and flexible, as well as being physically and mentally resilient.
As an operating room nurse, you will be responsible for ensuring compliance with minimum hygiene standards even under the most difficult conditions. You will prepare the operating rooms, and be responsible for the technical equipment and instruments, making sure that these are all sterilized. During the operations, you will monitor the condition of the patients and carry out pre- and post-operative care. Occasionally you also assist the surgeons. You will also train your colleagues on site and develop their skills.
A completed training in nursing with further training as an operating room nurse or extensive professional experience as an operation room nurse
- At least two years of professional experience in various operating room areas
Knowledge of visceral and trauma surgery or obstetrics and gynecology
- Experience in professional supervision as well as training or further education
- Availability for at least six months for the first assignment, while a longer period would be advantageous
- Fluency in English, knowledge of French is a big plus, other languages such as Arabic are also an advantage
- Travel or work experience in African, Asian or Latin American countries
- Ability to work in a team, cultural sensitivity, organizational and improvisational skills as well as high mental and physical resilience
- Willingness to work in accordance with Médecins Sans Frontières humanitarian principles, charter and mission statement
What do we offer
- Salary sufficient to cover costs at home while you are in the field
- A per diem during assignment to cover food expenses and other local purchases in local currency
- Round-trip transportation to and from assignment
- Room and board during assignment
- A comprehensive insurance package, including health and emergency evacuation insurance
- Holiday leave (depending on project)
We strongly recommend that you attend a webinar or HR info event about working with MSF to learn more about responsibilities and requirements before you apply.
As an international organization, we support diversity, openness and mutual respect. In line with our values, incoming applications are only evaluated for their professional qualifications and are considered regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
We look forward to your application.
ÄRZTE OHNE GRENZEN e.V.
Am Köllnischen Park 1, 10179 Berlin, Germany